Friday 13 November 2009

Friday 13th!


So it's Friday the 13th eh???
I think it will be a good day, because I have a dear friend coming to stay - my old mate Paul Blest who is over here from Tasmania will be spending the night with us and no doubt we will visit a nice pub !
I received the proofs of my seconfd book today - they are looking ok, and just need a few minor typos correcting. This is not due out until next March so it's good to see my publishers getting on with it so early - the book is called A Boot up Shropshire Hills and it contains 10 different walks in the county. Great for popping in the car for those spur of the moment "what can we do?" moments. I had great pleasure when I was photographing this area, as I have fond memories of my youth walking around Long Mynd and Stiperstones, and more recently have discovered many friends in the county - it gives me an opportunity to catch up with them too! Although it won't be in the book, Ironbridge is a favourite place. I used to go there before it became the tourist honeypot that it is nowadays;there was a little cafe that had a great pinball machine and good cappucino, right by the bridge. The shop is still there but now it is a made over "olde worlde" affair. The bridge remains a marvel of the Industrial Revolution - cast and constructed down the river in Coalbrookdale, it truly changed the way that the world was heading. I'm happy though that only the birth of the Revolution took place here, and developments quickly moved to the South Staffordshire coal fields, otherwise the pastoral county of Shropshire may have been very different.
I have tried to post a picture of the Ironbridge that shows it differently to the thousands that must exist already - I like the way that this shows the contrast between the rich woodland and the harsh grey iron-strangely enough, the quantity of iron needed was only possible because of the trees being turned into charcoal for smelting the ore. Man is ever inventive!

No comments:

Post a Comment