Thursday 12 November 2009

Books for Sale!!!!


I am just back from an enjoyable couple of hours at Waterstone's in Kettering where I was signing books with two other local authors,Ron Greenall and Nick Saunders. Ron's book is a History of Kettering, whilst Nick's is a collection of Gothic horror stories, that he has been writing since his teens. This was all part of the first Kettering Book Week, which hopefully will become a bigger annual event in years to come. It never fails to amaze me, though, how books "written" by so called celebrities, sell in their thousands, when really good works by lesser known individuals struggle for shelf space! Surely we are not all SO interested in what someone off the telly did when they were a kid???? Most of these autobiographies (oh yeah...) are mind numbingly ordinary tales of how they grew up, but don't really provide much of an insight into anything new - and I htink that few celebrities will tell "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!" (Unless they are Andre Agassi!!!)
Well, we three local writers enjoyed a lovely wide ranging chat and even sold a few books, before being photographed for the local newspaper- see the pic here. This was quite an odd experience for me, as just recently I have been taking news shots and organising the subjects - " look this way, move your head a little...smile etc"
And finally...a clever literary joke!
I heard a wonderfully clever advertising slogan today from a friend - it was a sign on the window of a camping shop - "now is the winter of our discount tents!"- isn't that clever! If I liked camping I might be tempted to buy one!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! It's Baggers herself taking the photos-so at least they will have been good. I taught her all I know-it took me 2 minutes :-)

    ReplyDelete