Friday 22 January 2010

Between a rock and a hard place...


is a common expression, but that is just where I found myself on Wednesday. I was in Shropshire, taking photographs for The Winter's Tale of Shropshire book, and as there had been a good snowfall that day I decided to head for the area known as Little Switzerland, around Church Stretton. Gathering photos along the way, I was encouraged and excited by the heavy fall, especially noticeable the further west (and higher!) I went. Eventually, I reached the pretty town of Church Streeton and headed for possibly the steepest,twistiest road in the county - The Burway. This single track road runs from the town to the summit of the Long Mynd at about 1500 feet, and in many places is 1 in 4 or steeper for short stretches. Even though the sign warning that the road was "closed" due to snow, was only partly obscured, I thought that my Land Rover would have little problem in climbing the hill....

The first 500 or so feet was ok, if a little adventurous (!) but then around a bend I came to what looked like a mound of snow blocking the way forward. This had obviously fallen in a kind of "mini avalanche" turning the evenly covered roadway into an impossible wall of deep snow. So I carefully began to reverse...it was then that I realised the steepness of the road and the fresh snow on ice, meant that even a 4 x 4 could not grip where there WAS no grip, and as I gently braked felt the car continue backwards towards the edge of the road and the drop into Cardingmill Valley, 500 feet below. Thank God, the ABS kicked in and I was able to stop short of the edge, with enough width of road to get out and check my position.... the only was was forward again.... so engaging all of the controls that Land Rovers have for climbing hills in snow, I started off - to feel the whole car shimmy sideways still nearer to the edge...now with a dry mouth and pumping heart, I had to take stock of the situation as i appeared that I could not go up OR down. The snow was still falling heavily and the temperature was at zero...

I walked back down the road to the nearest houses, about half a mile down to get some help... no one home! So back up to the car, and I dug an area around the wheels to get me started again. Thankfully, I was able to get away from the edge, where my rear wheel was perilously close to, and managed to get into a shallow passing place and let my car come to a rest against the dry stone wall.

Back down the hill again, to inform the police and also to find a hot drink. The police were brilliant and informed the National Trust Area Warden who said he could see my car from his office on the other side of the valley. Into Mr Bun the Bakers for some hot tea in Stretton, but at this stage I was still shaking from the thought of what may have happened. The advice from the police was to secure my car and leave it for the night, so I had to go back up the road an unload my gear. This was a rucksack with all my camera equipment weighing about 15kilos, my overnight bag, a little heavier, my laptop and sundry note books and maps. The lady at the Belvedere Guest House in Burway must have thought I was a madman when I asked if she had a room available. I was laden like a pack horse, my hat was covered in snow, and I was sweating profusely....

After a brief rest, my brother who lives 30 miles away called and said he was coming to get me and to check out as I could stay with them. Luckily the B&B owner was understanding and made no charge for my use of the room for an hour os so, while I gathered my thoughts and strength

The next day,Thursday, my brother and I retuned to the vehicle (climbing the hill yet again!) and as the temperature had risen slightly we decided to try to press on to the summit to find an area to turn around so at least I could drive down facing forwards instead of reversing which had been the only option earlier. NOW the Land Rover technology was brilliant! Selecting the incredible Hill Descent Control and low ratio gearbox, we set off...and I didn't have to touch the brakes once... the computer sorted all the traction out and slowly we inched our way down, passing the place of previous impasse, then gradually noting the change in road conditions as we got nearer and and nearer to the cattle grid at the bottom - we were going to make it!

A stop for tea and hot sausage rolls in Church Stetton and we were on our way, rapidly leaving behind the snow as we headed east towards Shifnal

Later I heard on the radio someone talking about their life and how they had learned their biggest lessons when they had failed... I certainly learned a huge lesson on that road on Wednesday when I failed to take the conditions seriously....
The picture shows my car "parked" safely for the night on The Burway...

2 comments:

  1. Now THAT looks scary! Man-made technology versus nature. I think nature won on this occasion, but I'm glad you are safely back to tell the tale Bob! I've been out in similar conditions, including a blizzard in the welsh mountains working for The Telegraph many years ago. I'm not sure I'm as brave as you in telling all though-but it still sends shivers down my spine thinking about it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The road over the tops from Holmfirth to Manchester gets closed often!! It's not hard to understand when you have come across it as the weather can change and you are still only half way and you just have to carry on and big drop one side. So I can feel your fear!!!Lucky you on this occasion and no you won't ever make that mistake again!!!We all live and learn:-)

    ReplyDelete